Managing Overseas Workers

There have been some recent updates by the Australian Government regarding support entitlements for Temporary Visa Holders currently in Australia.

We have created a new fact sheet which covers:

  • What has been announced for Temporary Visa Holders?
  • Visitor Visa Holders
  • International Students
  • Working Holiday & Work and Holiday Visa Holders
  • Graduate Visa Holders, Trainee Visa Holders and other Special Purpose
    Visa Holders
  • Temporary Skilled Visa Holders (457/482)
  • New Zealanders on 444 Visas
  • Bridging Visas
  • Assistance in Returning to your Home Country

Click here to download the updated factsheet


The below information has been extracted from the The Department of Home Affairs website. For updated information please visit: 

Visa holders in Australia

Edupi have prepared a Managing Covid-19 and Overseas Workers Fact Sheet for sponsors to help understand your obligations in managing overseas workers. You can download your copy by clicking here.

The below advice was taken from the Department of Home Affairs website.

You must apply for a new visa before your current visa exp​ir​es. You may be​​​ eligible to be granted a bridging visa that will keep you lawful until a decision is made on your visa application. See what you need to do to stay longer.

No further stay condition (includes 8503, 8534 and 8535)

This means you can’t apply for most other visas until you leave Australia. If your visa has less than 2 months validity remaining you can request to waive this condition. The Department will advise you of the outcome of your request. If your request is approved, you can make a new visa application.​​

Condition 8558 (Non-resident cannot stay for more than 12 months in any 18 months period)

You will need to apply for a new visa Explore your visa options.

If your visa has expired, you need to apply for Bridging E visa (BVE) immediately in order to become lawful. A BVE keeps you lawful while you make arrangements to leave or finalise your immigration matter.

Temporary visa holders

The government has announced temporary visa measures to help with the continuity of essential goods and services in response to COVID-19.

Working holiday makers who are employed in critical sectors including agriculture, health, aged and disability care and childcare will be exempt from the six month work limitation with one employer.

Working holiday makers employed in critical sectors who haven’t completed the 3 or 6 months of specified work required to apply for a second or third Working Holiday Maker visa, and are unable to leave Australia, may be eligible for a Temporary Activity (subclass 408 Australian Government Endorsed Event (AGEE) stream) visa. This visa will allow working holiday makers to remain lawfully in Australia, and continue working, if they wish to do so, until they can return to their home country.

Those already in Australia with the Seasonal Worker Program whose visas are expiring, will be able to extend their stay in Australia by applying for a Temporary Activity (subclass 408 Australian Government Endorsed Event (AGEE) stream) visa.

Holders of other temporary work visas currently employed in critical sectors may also be eligible for a Temporary Activity (subclass 408 Australian Government Endorsed Event (AGEE) stream) visa.

Complying with visa conditions

​Can’t provide additional information due to office closure (Health or Police clearances, Biometrics, English Language Testing)

You will be given additional time to complete checks and provide requested information.

Can’t return to Australia before my visa expires and want to return

You will need to apply for a new visa once the travel restrictions are lifted.

​Can’t complete Australian Study Requirement or periods of stay under the regional initiatives for Temporary graduate visa holders

The Department is looking at concessions on a case-by-case basis.

Processing visa applications

Some services relating to the visa application process​ may be impacted by COVID-19. The Department is aware of issues for certain visa holders overseas accessing the VEVO system. If you can’t use VEVO to check your visa status and conditions, you can still access your visa grant letter and visa conditions online using your ImmiAccount.

Visa cancellation

The Department will notify you in writing if your visa has been cancelled in response to the temporary travel restrictions. This will include information on how to seek revocation of the visa cancellation.

Pages in this section